Sunday, October 25, 2009

Day 14: Thinning the Herd

There's been a whole lot of growing goin' on.

P1010120
"Salad Bowl" variety

P1010121
left:  "Butterhead" variety

I really had no idea how things would go with this new system, so I *may* have sewn a bit much seed.  Lettuce doesn't really like to be crowded (or so I've read), so I must now thin them out.  This process makes me a little sad.

First, I picked out some nice plants for transfering to the rafts.  I filled a second raft, and also replaced some of the cells in the first raft that did not do so well.  I found that the root systems on these, now 14 day old, plants were substantially larger.  I would definitely say that I feel 14 days would be a better time to transfer to rafts than the earlier 8 or 9 day stage.

P1010123


Pulling out all those adorable little plants made me sad.  Just look at all those cute little guys with their nice root systems that will never get to reach their full potential.

P1010124
THAAAAT's right!  I'm sad about killing baby lettuce plants!  Is that a PROBLEM!?
Didn't think so.  :o)

P1010125


On one side of the gravel chamber the plants are nicely spaced.

P1010128
That's tiny Oregano plants in the middle...I think.
(this is why we label things)  :o)

On the other side, the plants are only partially spaced.  I want to see how they do slightly crowded.  (and also this allows me to have more plants to pull if I have any die off in the rafts)

P1010127





No comments:

Post a Comment